The project production and its outcomes
This project was all about learning how to work collaboratively, taking risks, understanding the proccesses of another department and taking away new skills. During this production, we worked closely with Costume to achieve these goals. They got to be involved in the storyboarding phase – something associated with our department – where they offered us new way of visualising through their use of moodboards. And we got to offer our opinions on what colours the dresses should be, something associated with their department. These are small examples of a much bigger outcome, which was successfully collaborating with another department which saw us produce a great perfume advert.
Your group process throughout the production for the module
Our process really started when we re-wrote the storyboard with more contribution from Costume. We mainly spoke about the concept and theme, but we had to get around our creative differences to actually get anywhere. Once this was done we were able to really get moving. This led us to planning, which involved filling out all the professional practice documents, production schedules, eqiupment lists, prop lists and set design lists. This led us to actually booking/buying/making the things we needed to implement the shoot, completing the set design and finally filming the perfume advert with Costume.
Your role within the production for the module
Very early on, we decided Ceri would take the role of director. This left me with the responsibilities of Producer, Key Grip and Gaffer. I was in charge of making sure all our risk assessments, health and safety forms, actor/location release forms and contact lists were filled out. Furthermore, I had to make sure the eqiupment was all booked out, and that we ran to schedule on film day. On the shoot itself, I set up all the lights and with Stephen’s help, I made sure all the wires were safely strapped to the floor with tape, and that there were safe walking spaces around our set to avoid unnecessary danger. Apart from this, my other role lied in listening to Ceri.
The strengths and weaknesses of the group project
The definite weakness for our project was the relationship we had with our Costume counterparts. Although we had worked hard to fix the early differences we had, there was still a sense of awkwardness when working with them. Moreover, we were so worried about dealing with another bad reaction that we tip-toed around them which stifled our creativeness. However, the working relationship between Ceri, Stephen and I was definitely the strength on our side of things. We worked very well as a unit, and this showed as we were ready to go about three weeks in advance. As a unit, we wanted to be slick and we achieved that.
The importance of collaboration in creative productions
Although we had our differences and it was easy to question the point of colloboration with another department during the rough patches, I can look back now and see the importance. Knowing how to handle creative differences in a professional way is invaluable, and sets me up for real world situations very well. Moreover, on a film set I will have to be able to work with several departments; not just Costume. Understanding the importance of other departments is crucial to this, and taking on-board their processes will set me up to be a more-rounded media maker.